Here is a simple how-to guide to making felt poppies, submitted by Adriana Fernandez-Bowyer, a member of our Activities Coordinator Facebook Group.
You will need:
- Red wool-blend felt
- Card (for heart pattern)
- Tapestry needles
- Black embroidery cotton
- Black buttons
- Brooch pin
- Draw a heart and cut across the bottom to give it a flat edge, as in the picture – this will be your petal template (The size of the poppy depends on the size of the heart template)
- You will need four petals per poppy; for group work, residents can trace patterns, then use scissors for cutting patterns
- Blanket stitch the petal edges of all four petals, as per the picture
- Mark the centre lines details with pencil, and blanket-stitch these with french knots
- Use running stitch attach the four petals
- Then, pulling on the thread, gather the petals together, and stitch on a button to secure.
- Add a brooch pin if residents want to wear them